Why is it when a holiday rolls around on the calendar such as the 4th of July, people feel it is necessary to make plans or end up feeling like a loser? Why is it not socially acceptable for a person to just be home doing everyday stuff? Why is that not "good" enough?
I live near lake country. Most everyone I know head to the lake on summer weekends especially summer holidays. We used to be one of those families. Most of my co-workers and some friends have family that own a lake property so it is easy for them to go without any worries of owning lake toys, upkeep of the property, etc. I have to admit, I'm jealous. As I mentioned in a previous post, we sold our camper this spring in hopes to find a new campground in the next couple of summers and to be free of the cost associate with it. Yes, we still own our boat so we can make day trips if we choose to.
When I was asked by several co-workers what my plans are for the 4th of July weekend, I told them. We actually do have plans which we are looking forward to. No, it does not involve going to the lake. Once I gave my answer, I got the dreaded "oh" response. Excuse me? What is that all about? It's sad really that plans spent outside of going to the lake are perceived as pathetic and boring.
I couldn't disagree more.
Plans or no plans should not be perceived any differently. Some people prefer to not make any official plans and instead go with the flow. I admire people like that and am working on doing more of it. I find myself more relaxed and stress free when I don't have "official" plans.
So the next time you have plans and ask someone else what they are doing, please refrain from the dreaded "oh". No one wants to hear it, trust me.
For those with plans, have fun! For those without plans, have fun!
Happy 4th of July everyone!
It's been a LONG while
4 years ago


























1 comments:
Hi,
I hope you don't mind me leaving you a comment. I noticed you have a heart for Him and are a follower of Katie Davis' blog. I'm a 26 year old woman from England who has been called of God to become a Mama to many Ugandan children. I move to Uganda in January of next year and will be taking in children & loving them, just like Katie. I wondered if you might perhaps be interested in my blog. The link is:
www.icarryyouinme.wordpress.com
If you aren't, please just ignore this message.
Have a lovely day!
Gabi
Post a Comment