Thursday, July 22

Yep, I'm Going There

***Update***
Maya finally went #2 in the tiolet about 12:30ish. Poor thing. She was in a lot of pain all of last night and this morning. She did call me at work to tell me. I love getting those calls :)

Ah the joys of potty training. I really would be happy to completely skip this entire process. Potty training is by far the hardest thing for a parent or at least for me. The only thing I enjoy is the celebration of Maya going potty in the toilet.

Maya actually is 99% potty trained. YEAH! It was a long road to get to this point and I am very pleased with the progress. Now I just want Maya to consistently go #2 in the toilet. There are times, like tonight, where we have to stay home as Maya refuses to go even though she really has to. Time like tonight means Maya gets down on all 4's or leans over something and moves her butt up and down. Even though I tell, take, ask, persuade, and/or encourage her to use the bathroom, she will not go. Instead she keeps shaking her butt up and down. This will go on for hours! Rather than go outside and enjoy the fresh air, we are stuck inside trying to get Maya to go #2. Any idea how incredibly frustrating this may be? Not only is it frustrating for us the parents but it must be somewhat traumatic for Maya. I know she has to go, she knows she has to go, but according to her it is just too painful.

Does anyone else have this issue with their child? My friend suggested raspberries and prune juice. I can add both to her diet but it would have to be given to Maya at dinner time as she eats breakfast, lunch, and snack at daycare. I'd love to hear if anyone has any other suggestions? My goal is to get Maya 100% potty trained and relieve the pain she is in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

6 comments:

Nikki said...

I totally know where you are coming from! This is the first part of parenthood that I've said I really don't enjoy! It's awesome when Allie does go onthe potty or has a day with no accidents, but it's ALOT of work!!!
I'm a teacher and so I thought the best time to work on potty training would be during the summer when I am home. Things are going pretty good, but I hate that we pretty much have to be inside most of the day so that I can remind her every so often. She's finally getting to the point where she'll go by herself when she needs to go. She still gets busy and doesn't want to go sometimes. When we go out, for some reason she really doesn't want to go in other potties other than our potty. Hopefully that will come. The #2 is harder for us, but it's going well. We've been giving her plum smart (the less sugar one) right away in the morning. That way it's harder for her to hold it in, and believe it or not...she's actually went #2 for the past 3 days. We started it about 5 days ago...not sure if it's just a coincidence or if it really works. Other than that, I don't really have any advice.

Anonymous said...

About six months after we thought Owen was completely potty trained, he started having trouble going #2. He never once had an accident, but would just hold it FOREVER. I remember just worrying about him being in pain. I would sit in the bathroom for hours just rubbing his tummy.
We did do the prune juice thing. I would give him a glass in the morning. (he ended up loving prune juice)It helped out so much. It made it just a little bit more easier for him, and in a matter of days he was back to normal.
This to shall pass :) (aren't I hilarious!!) Soon you will look back at this and laugh. Not yet... but soon!

Kathy Freier said...

Matt had a problem with going #2 as well. We had to give him suppositories, prune juice, etc. Sometimes it would work, sometimes he would insist on not going on the toilet. He would cry and complain it hurts - which I'm sure it does when you hold it like he was doing. His doctor told me that it was psychological and he would start to go on the toilet when he was ready. I bribed him with a Buzz Lightyear - no go. 4 MONTHS LATER HE DECIDED to started going on the toilet and he sweetly asked for his Buzz Lightyear. Most frustrating thing I have ever gone through with our children. Good luck!

JonesEthiopia said...

Try flax seed or flax seed oil. If she eats cereal in the morning, you can sprinkle it on that. We use it for the girls every once in a while. In our experience it works better than prune juice.

Matt and Jennifer said...

I have not gone through this yet but my friends daughter has trouble going #2 and they give her Fiber One bars which seem to help her a lot. Hope it gets better for all of you, especially Maya.

Trudy said...

Prune juice, prunes, and raisins are all natural laxatives. You can also use Miralax which is a powder you can add to her juice if the stool is hard for her to pass. Thing to remember the longer she holds it in the harder/painful it is for her to pass. Now I am not the potty training expert in the Hanson household-that's Rob's job-but has she watched you go to the bathroom? I admit it's not the highlight of my day when Sophia comes in and watches, but by not making a big deal of it hopefully Maya will get the idea every body does it.