Wednesday, March 2

Mom's Tip #5 - Remember to Breathe

Life can get super busy if not completely insane. I know as I always seem to be running in many different directions and usually always have a to-do list a mile long. All of this can be very overwhelming and hard on your emotional well being.

A good friend of mine shared with me something she lives by thanks to a tip she heard from the one and only Chalean Johnson. My friend has 3 or 4 "categories" or "priorities" and everything she does must align with one of those priorities.  She also keeps this list in her phone so she always has it with her in case she needs to be reminded.  She tells me this really helps her stay focused and true to herself without feeling guilty, etc. 

Yesterday I took time to write down everything going on in our lives and tried to ensure I got the complete list.  My next step is to review with Dave and begin to categorize everything into headers such as family, church, personal well being, etc.  By doing this exercise, I am hoping to understand where our time is going, what is truly necessary, and what things we can let go.  It certainly isn't going to be easy or perfect but my ultimate goal is to get some sanity back into our lives.

I have also talked to some other mother's out there who seemed to be as overwhelmed and busy as I am.  Parenting is hard work and is a never ending job.  Yes, it is one of the best jobs out there but it is hard and demanding.  This past week I have been working really hard on taking a moment to remember to breathe.  I think it is important to take a deep breath, relax, and to reset.  This past Sunday afternoon was glorious as I made the decision to give myself a break.  While the kids napped, I sat down and watched TV and snoozed a little.  It was glorious and very needed.  So remember to breathe without the guilt!