Saturday, September 11

Melkam Addis Amet

Happy Ethiopian New Year! 

Did you know Ethiopia is 7 years behind us?  It is because Ethiopia uses the Orthodox Julian calendar versus the Western or Gregorian calendar which consists of 12 months of 30 days and a 13th month, Pagume, of five or six days, depending on whether or not it is a leap year.  Interesting isn't it? 

Today our good friends invited us over for a traditional Ethiopian dinner.  They did an amazing job and the food was truly amazing.

IMG_1493
Thank you Evan and Teri-Lee!

The girls had fun playing too (well when they weren't fighting and acting like sisters).  Makenna also really enjoyed herself and had a spell of constant laughter.  I really enjoyed watching her chase the girls.

All 3 girls wore their traditional Ethiopian dresses tonight.  We didn't even plan it but apparently we both thought alike.  The girls really looked beautiful.  I tried getting a picture of Maya and Makenna before we left the house and ended up with this one.  Not too bad.

IMG_1484

And I wanted a picture of all the girls together but settled for a picture of Makenna with Wren as well as a photo of Maya with Wren.  I am finding getting a nice picture of a 3 year old is next to impossible these days. 

IMG_1503 
IMG_1489

What a great evening with good friends. 

Melkam Addis Amet!

6 comments:

Erica said...

Beautiful!!! Happy New Year!

Us4 Cats said...

what sweet & wonderful photos!
interesting about the Eth calendar.

thanks for sharing!

Deena said...

Your girls are adorable! How cool to have friends that will cook Ethiopian food for you...Oh how I wish we had more families with Ethiopian children around us. Happy New Year!

Teri-Lee said...

Cute pics! We had a great time too! Wren is still wearing her dress (almost 24 hours later!) as she has thus far refused to take it off. Tonight I think we will have to insist.

The O'Neal Family said...

Hi Theresa, You have a beautiful family and glad you found me! I would be more than happy to make a painting for you. I just posted my new blog for people to order from: http://artforourcause.blogspot.com/ Just email me with what you want or if you have any questions. SO nice to "meet" you!

Alicia said...

I am jealous! It would be super to have friends to cook ET food for us! Hopefully I will be more organized next year and have a party too.