Friday, January 7

I have been burned. I have been bruised.

I am back in the U.S. this week, back at work, back doing things with my family. I am grateful for all of these things yet much of me is still left behind in Ethiopia. 

I have such memories of playing soccer with the children at Trees of Glory. Memories of volleyball and soccer with the boys of Kolfe. Watching the youth on our team interacting with their peers half a world away, teaching them four square and being taught Ethiopia games and dances. 

I have been burned. 
Today the skin is peeling on my face from the burn that the bright sunshine of Ethiopia left. A reminder that while my time in Ethiopia was full of highlights, the harsh reality is that there are so many children left in a situation that is not comfortable. 

I have been bruised.
This is a photo of the side of my leg. It is a bruise that received over one week ago while playing soccer on a field of rocks. It is a reminder of the pain and burden that each of these orphans bears each day. 

I was able to return to my family and my home knowing that I have family that loves, supports and cares for me. The boys at Kolfe remained there, with many of them asking for a 'mom', even if just a virtual one unable to give a hug or wipe away their tears. 

On Sunday I attended church in Addis Ababa and part of the message related to the overwhelming burden that is placed on us, and the importance of not giving into this burden. Despite many challenges, I am not ready to let this burden overcome me and will persist in being a voice for the orphan.