So today I chose work over Maya's holiday party at daycare. I guess I didn't feel I had much of a choice as I missed work already this week due to having the flu. I didn't think much of missing the party until I picked Maya up. Not only was she one of very few kids there but she also received lots of wonderful gifts. Her daycare gave her an adorable outfit and puzzle and Santa brought her a brown teddy bear. I then learned that Maya was terrified of Santa and went screaming the other direction. Where was I during all of this? At work. Really? I completely regret not being there to celebrate with Maya and her daycare friends. Is work really that important that is comes before your child? I realize I need to help pay the bills but really? I should have taken the time and attended Maya's party. I missed it, all of it. No pictures, no stories, nothing. One thing for sure, I learned my lesson and will make these parent/child events a priority from now on. They are important even if Maya is only 22 months. She is #1 and will always be in my book.
3 comments:
Theresa, You are definately not a bad mom. I am so sorry that you feel that. You are 100% devoted to Maya, and your love for her shows through! I am a working mom too, and it is so hard to not "be there". Big Hugs to you, Nicole
You are a great mom. I don't even know you personally but I know that much about you for sure!! If anything I would say you are a very normal mom. You will never miss another event like this as you said. And I am sure there will be a million more that you will be going to.
Unfortunately you can't be there for everything. It's not realistic to think you can, and it doesn't make you a bad mom. It's just life.
Think about it... if you really want to be there 100%, you'll have to quit your job and stay at home. That's a great option for some, but not right for every family.
The good news is that daycare doesn't stunt their growth (and neither does missing one event), so don't sweat it. Both Maya and Olivia should turn out just fine, daycare and all. :)
I'll see you guys in a couple days!
Post a Comment