Monday, August 30

Day 4 - Maya's Anniversary Week

Here is day 4 of our trip - apparently we must not have blogged about day 3.

Hello everyone - we had another busy day so far.  We got back to the guest house late last night as we had dinner with our friends who are also in town.  Our friend is from Addis but lives in Fargo.  We had dinner at a very nice Italian restaurant which was great.  Dave is a big fan of Ethiopian food but I don't care for it as much.  I am craving a cheeseburger right now but will have to wait until we are back in the USA.  I also have to note how cheap the dinner was.  My meal was 48.00 BURR which is $4.80.  The same meal back home would have cost me at least $12.  We did have a great time with our friends and were so glad they were able to take us out.  Our adoption agency has a schedule for us and keeps us close by so we don't get to see much of the city.

Today we had a busy morning driving around Addis.  The goal was to do some shopping but it didn't end up that way.  I ended up getting motion sickness and still have it.  The driving here is unexplainable  and something that we have never seen.  There are no stop signs, stop lights, traffic rules of any kind, and people walk on the street.  It is amazing there isn't many car accidents.

This afternoon we went to the USA embassy to get a visa for Maya.  Before we left, the nannies brought the children to the guest house.  Maya was dressed is a very cute dress and was very happy.  She did fall asleep on the ride there and snored!  At the embassy she focused on the Monday night football game.  Yes, they had the game on a day later.  And...we have determined that Maya is daddy's girl.  She snores and likes football!  The embassy went extremely well and we are officially her parents.  Honestly, I am so happy and I love that girl so much.  She is so sweet and happy.  She even took some of the bottle today from Dave!  She struggled with it yesterday but did take about 3 oz today.  We are so pleased.  If we haven't mentioned it before, they cup feed all the babies here as it keeps down the infections.  Maya has never been breast feed or bottled feed until now.  We hope she continues to eat from the bottle as it will make a better trip home.  Oh...I have to say that the nanny yesterday told me she doesn't like bottle and that she will give me a cup tomorrow when I take her home.  It was kind of funny to be honest.  The nannies just love her so much and know her so well.  It will be hard for Maya to leave them as she is very attached. 

We are off to the Crown Hotel tonight for a traditional Ethiopian dinner and dancing.  Although I don't feel well, we are still going.  It should be very interesting.

Update: Maya never took a bottle and we had to feed her with the cup the nanny gave us on the entire flight home.  We then transitioned Maya to a sippy cup.  I have also learned to love Ethiopian food too as long as it isn't too spicy.  Amazing how things are so different 3 years later!

1 comments:

Us4 Cats said...

thank you for sharing. i enjoy reading these stories about the trip and the time spent. we are going to our first ethiopian restaurant within a couple months. i am excited to taste the food for the first time. i would like to learn to make some of it for when our child comes home and is old enough to enjoy it.