Friday, August 6

Playground Conversations

**Making a guest blog appearance (David aka Dad)**

Last night we spent some time at Theresa's company picnic and Maya was able to enjoy the playground. Much of the night was spent swinging, but she took a break towards the end and made friends with a girl, Brooke, who was from the neighborhood. I was able to listen in on a conversation they had.

Brooke: “Is that your dad?”
Maya: “Yeah”
Brooke: “Why are you brown, and he is white?”
Maya: “Because, umm… I don’t know?”
Brooke: “I wish I was brown like you”
Maya: “I wish I was white like you”
Brooke: “I like your sandals”
Maya: “Thank you, I like your shoes”

At this point I came around the corner so Maya could see me and she was so excited, “Dad, meet my new friend.”

Me: “Hello, what is your new friend’s name?”
Maya to Brooke: “What is your name again?”

Then a few minutes later.

Brooke: “When is your birthday again?”
Maya: "February XX"
Brooke: “Can I come to your birthday party?”
Maya: “Sure”
Brooke: "Can you come back to the park tomorrow?"
Maya: "Sure"

At some point this conversation will be much more complicated, but at age 3 it seems pretty simple doesn’t it?