Monday, November 15

Can Anyone Relate?

It's that time a year. I just love this time a year where I have to make decisions that affect all of the next year. I am sure many of you or maybe your spouses are also experiencing the pleasure of re-enrolling in your company's benefits. All and all, it isn't too bad and not very hard.

While looking at the dependant care flexing account, I can't help but wonder "why only $5000 per household?". For those of you with children in daycare, does $5000 cover your expenses or even most of your expenses? I know that it certainly does not cover our expenses and it certainly doesn't even cover one of our two kids. I am incredibly thankful for a tax deduction but why hasn't it changed after all these years especially when daycare has gone up considerably? Any answers?

I did a big no no today. I actually calculated how much we will spend in daycare this calendar year with the new increased rates at our daycare. It was beyond scary. Our girls go to a daycare center versus a home daycare. No reason except we felt more comfortable with a center and so far it has fit our needs. We like it and our girls love it. They feel comfortable, safe, and loved. The staff is remarkable and you can't put a price tag on everything my girls are learning.

For a long time now, I have been really down on myself. Please don't judge but I feel like I have given up so much in order to have my two beautiful girls who are close in age. It is a constant internal struggle for me to realize that I no longer have the disposable income that I once had and to accept it. I often get very jealous and envious of those around me who seem to have an endless supply of discretionary income and who are always wearing new clothes. I used to be that gal who would replace my purse every 6 months and now I have been using the same one for over a year. I used to be that gal who could buy a new shirt, pair of jeans, or some new make-up (within reason). Now I am the mom who has to budget, watch for sales, and pay my enormous daycare bill.

I love my girls without a doubt and I would never wish to go back to the time before them as my life is better with them in it. I just have to realize kids come with a price tag and for us it is our daycare expense. We will get through this time and one day I'll get a my new purse. Until then, I will continue to budget, continue to watch for sales, and continue to make good money decisions. Besides, materials are not what matters anyway. Too many people are searching for their next meal, a place to call home, education, and so much more. These are the things that matter and I just have to keep reminding myself of it.