Thursday, June 3

Kids and TV

I got away from posting a specific topic on my blog where we can have a discussion on it.  I personally value each and every comment and I've learned a lot from them.  I must apologize already as I wish I had the capability to respond to the comments and keep the dialogue going but unfortunately it isn't feasible during the day.  Being a working mother without a smart phone leaves me with no option but to wait until I have time at night.  Even though I am not able to comment back during the day, I want to encourage you all to leave a comment.  I'd love to hear what you have to say and I know I can't be the only one looking for some good  parenting advice and suggestions.

This week's Topic:

Question: Is TV okay for kids and if so, how much TV is okay?

I've been thinking about this topic for awhile now as we struggle with it in our house.  Maya LOVES to watch television and I can't blame her as I too love it.  I find myself in front of the TV almost nightly to wind down from the busy day.  I always try to sneak in at least 30-60 minutes of TV each night for myself.  So why shouldn't Maya love it too?  She has such a busy day every day by attending a daycare center.  Maya is expected to be "on" the entire day meaning she never gets any down time.  Her day is full with learning activities, playing indoors and outdoors (which can wipe you out) as well as fighting for attention from her teachers.  Maya also has to adhere to the schedule such as nap time even if it means she is still tired and would like to continue to sleep (like yesterday.)  I can't imagine how exhausting it must be for a 3 year old.  

Maya comes home full of tired energy.  She is wound up from the day and immediately starts to be naughty.  Most days she is beside herself and is all out of sorts.  It is hard on everyone.  I know part of this is just being 3 but the other part is pure exhaustion from her day at daycare.  I feel bad for her.  

Saying that, I am not sure putting her in front of the TV to allow her some down time is the right answer.  I try to use TV as a reward for being good and making good choices.  However, there are times we let her watch one of her shows even if she didn't have a good day.  Sometimes we allow her to watch more than one.  And most times...we let her watch American Idol with us.   Is that bad?  

Watching TV all started when I began braiding and styling her hair.  I needed Maya to be still and to allow me to style her hair.  We started off watching episodes of "Winnie the Pooh" and "Mickey Mouse".  She loved it.  I remember asking her on a nice Sunday afternoon if she would like to go outside and play or sit inside and let me braid her hair.  Maya picked her show. 

What do you think?

Do you think it is okay for kids to watch TV?  How much is okay?  What kind of shows do you allow your child(ren) to watch? 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a 16 yr old and a 3yr old.
For my 3yr old he can become easily addicted so I've created a routine. Immediately after breakfast we do a lapbooking/totbook lesson (see my blog) and a craft. Ge loves it and it gets his mind off of wanting that tv on immediately when he wakes in the morning.

When he does watch, I only allow thongs that will teach him academically and is good influence.
Signing times videos are awesome. My son could communicate with us from 12 months old using sign language when he wasn't talking. He only said the alphabet but signing even to this day expands his vocabulary because it's hands on.

Veggie tales give him spiritual and moral lessons with great fun music he loves to sing along with.

I put on veggie tales Sunday school songs cd to play in background while he plays and it's so fun he feels like he's watching a DVD but not.

We just introduced books on cd this week like we did with my daughter at this age. He loves it!! His favorite and my recommendation for first two books to get them hooked is chicka chicka 123 and 5 little monkeys.

So my answer is it's okay as long as you plan it out, in my opinion.
Hugs!!! Jen at BeachMonkeys.Blogspot.com
Dora the explored helped my son find his voice.