Yesterday over my lunch hour, I decided to take a load of infant clothing to the retailer, Once Upon a Child. I had a feeling I wouldn't make much money but at least the clothes I owned could be resold and be used by another family. As many of you know, infants don't seem to wear out their clothes and I of course had a good amount to unload.
I stopped in and was greeted by a very friendly employee who said she will go through my tub of clothes and it will take approximately 20 minutes. No big deal there as I enjoy browsing through the store and even found something that I wanted to purchase.
After 20 minutes or so, I stopped back up to the counter to speak to the gal. When I got to the counter I couldn't help but noticed my container was basically the same size as it was when I brought it into the store. The lady tells me they no longer are taking summer clothes (excuse me? It was the 18th of June!) but that she made an exception on a few pieces. She showed me what she accepted which was 4 or 5 pieces and 2 pairs of flip flops. If that wasn't bad enough, she was only going to give me $9.50 for all of it.
Are you kidding me?
The best part of it all is I got an extra $1.30 if I take the trade in which meant I had to use the money in the store or I would have received $8 and some change in cash. At that point I decided to buy a few hair accessories and a pair of shorts to call it good. I then dragged my very full container back to my car.
So I wonder, what should I do with all these gently used infant clothing?
Yes, I could donate them. But where? Every time I unload my donations to the local Boys Ranch, I can't help but notice their very packed back room. Would my clothes even make it to the store to be purchased? I could give them to a friend but let's face it. My friends don't want my used clothes or the season isn't right or they have a boy not a girl.
I asked the question again, what should I do with these gently used clothes?
Honestly, I am thinking of sending them along with Dave to Ethiopia later this year. I believe they will appreciate them.


























10 comments:
Do you guys have any privately owned second hand stores? I've done better with that than a chain one. And it is true they do have to accept clothes to stock the next season no matter what place it is. It takes time to prepare/process things and the seasons go by quickly. You might want to try again with fall things. Another place to check is the local pregnancy centers. I know here in our area they are thrilled for donations for their moms' children. And cramming all you can into Dave's luggage is a fabulous idea!!! :) One more option is Craig's list. You can usually label a whole batch of a size for a set price.
Great ideas Shelly! I am planning on selling a batch of winter clothing later this summer or early fall on Craig's list but I wanted to unload my summer stuff that Makenna has out grown. We do have a local YWCA that probably could benefit from them.
First Choice Clinic right across from the Ground Round or what used to be the ground round (Paige Drive near 25th) when I was there! They are amazing! I did my internship there. They have a store where clients can use pretend money they earn from attending parenting classes to buy clothes and other baby items! It is wonderful!!!
Unfortunately Fargo doesn't have it, but the Just Between Friends sales are great in the Cities...Someone should start a franchise up there... http://bloomington.jbfsale.com/
There is a Kinder Klost off 45th, too, that buys used clothes, too. I usually take what OUAC doesn't take over there and they'll take some of it too.. It's alot of hauling, but if you have the time...
perhaps a woman's shelter, they are in every community they take battered families or families that are burned out of their home. Local churches as well! good luck
Thanks everyone! I now just have to make some phone calls and drop them off somewhere. My goal is to have them be used by someone as they are perfectly used infant clothing.
Great idea!!! I must say my neices take there kids clothes to Once Upon A Child and they said they are getting really picky about the clothes....and my neices clothes are really nice...I was shocked also. Your right...the kids in Ethiopia would be delighted to have just one new shirt. They are more than greatful!!! And, girl you can vent on your blog anytime....sometimes it just helps to make get through the day....blog on girl...we are hear for you!!! Take Care,
Karen:)
Hey Theresa,
Is your church planning a trip to Kolfe any time in the next year? A woman who has a sponsor son there contacted me about going and I thought it would be great if she could travel with your group? If not, she can come with my church in Feb - but we won't be at Kolfe (we'll be at our CHC orphanage) - though obviously I'll be visiting Kolfe to see my sweet boy).
Let me know!
Thanks,
Erin
Freecycle is another option as well as ebay ;).
Post a Comment