Monday, October 18

What to Wear or Should I Say What I'm Not Wearing

I am officially a mom.  Big surprise I know but it is true.  It dawned on me last Saturday while shopping at the mall with my sister.  I am wearing my 3 year old GAP bootcut jeans, a new Old Navy cardigan with a new boring old grey shirt underneath, and my 2 year old pair of black flats.  I thought I looked okay.

As I am walking through the mall and stepping foot into the grand opening of Forever 21, it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I am out dated.  Yep, I am living in the past.  I might think I look okay with my bootcut jeans and black flats but I couldn't be more far off the current trend.  What is everyone wearing?  Skinny jeans or tights, long draping shirts, and hip slouchy boots over the top of the jean. 

As I walked through Macy's, I couldn't help but noticed an entire department dedicated to leggings.  I also noticed most of the shoe department sported all styles and colors of boots made for the skinny jean and legging.  At one point, my sister and I just started laughing as we couldn't believe how out dated we were.  We even got a picture of me with what I am apparently suppose to be wearing. 



I am starting to think I could be a good candidate for the What Not to Wear show on TLC (is that show even on anymore?).  Honestly, I find the new trend very appealing and some women are really able to pull off the look.  As much as I laugh about it, I am not ready to join the skinny jean club.  I kind of like my bootcut jeans, boring old cardigans, and black flats. 

Please tell me I am not the only one not following this latest trend?  Is there anyone else out there like me?