Tuesday, October 19

'I Love My Hair': A Father's Tribute To His Daughter

Weeks ago I wrote a post about my terrible morning which you can read here.  On that day my morning didn't go so well considering I fought with Maya and then had to listen to another daycare mother tell me Maya's hair was "messy".  I stood there trying to make excuses for the lack of style when I should had be complementing Maya's hair as it was all natural (and beautiful). 

Today Dave came across this NPR article about an unnamed puppet with an afro singing a song about her beautiful hair.  Part of me wants to print this article out and give it to this daycare mother.  Maybe then she'll think twice about calling Maya's hair messy :)  Seriously read this article and share with others.  African American hair is beautiful and I want both of my daughters to love their hair. 

The following is from the article posted at : http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130653300&sc=fb&cc=fp


A little Muppet girl has started a sensation. The unnamed puppet with an afro sings a love song to her hair.


"I Love My Hair" debuted on the Oct. 4 episode of Sesame Street. It was posted on the show's YouTube page — and then women began posting the video on their Facebook pages.


African-American bloggers wrote that it brought them to tears because of the message it sends to young black girls.


Joey Mazzarino, the head writer of Sesame Street, is also a Muppeteer who wrote the song for his daughter. Mazzarino is Italian. He and his wife adopted their 5-year-old daughter, Segi, from Ethiopia when she was a year old.


Mazzarino says he wrote the song after noticing his daughter playing with dolls.
"She wanted to have long blond hair and straight hair, and she wanted to be able to bounce it around," he tells NPR's Melissa Block.


Mazzarino says he began to get worried, but he thought it was only a problem that white parents of African-American children have. Then he realized the problem was much larger.
In writing the song, he wanted to say in song what he says to his daughter: "Your hair is great. You can put it in ponytails. You can put it in cornrows. I wish I had hair like you."


That simple message has caused an outpouring of responses from women. Mazzarino got a call from an African woman who told him the song brought her to tears. "I was amazed, 'cause I sort of wrote this little thing for my daughter, and here this adult woman, it touched her," he says.
Mazzarino says he's happy to report that Segi loves the song — and her hair.