Thursday, March 11

Makenna Update

I realized it had been awhile since I have written a blog post dedicated to Makenna. She has been doing pretty well overall. We have had several doctor appointments to ensure she has all her vaccinations and has a complete bill of health. We met an amazing doctor in our town from Africa who mostly sees immigrants and adopted kids. I can't even tell you what a blessing it was to have found her. She was able to explain to us every mark on Makenna's body. When we first met Makenna, we were concerned about a mark on her upper right arm. Turns out if was from a TB vaccination and the doctor had the very same mark on her arm. Makenna also has some blue spots on her back which look like bruises. Turns out those are perfectly normal and they have a name for them but I can't recall. I'm just truly thankful my city has someone like her as a doctor.

Makenna hasn't been doing too well in the sleeping department. We are told she takes okay naps at daycare but she hasn't been sleeping through the night. We have had 3 nights in a row of little sleep. Makenna thinks 12:30 is time to get up and play when it is certainly not time to wake up. After 3 nights of trying to combat this, Dave took her to the walk-in clinic. It turns out she has a double ear infection. Well that explains why she doesn't want to sleep. It probably hurts! Tonight she has her medicine so I am praying she makes it through the night.

Makenna has also gained a little over 2 pounds since being home. She loves to eat and cries terribly when you are making a bottle. She has really good ears too as we swear she can hear the bottle being made from a different room. So far we haven't found any food she hasn't liked. Hopefully this will continue into her toddler days and beyond.

Overall, she is doing well. It is still difficult to make her smile or to get her to laugh. Maya doesn't seem to have any issue with this as Makenna loves her big sister. I tried finding a picture with her smiling and could only find a handful out of many. I hope she opens up more and begins to smile. I just love it when she does as personality changes drastically and she is so darn cute with a smile on her face (not that she isn't cute without it).

Here is a picture we took during bath-time which she absolutely loves.

IMG_9879

2 comments:

Ronnie and Suzi said...

Oh my goodness she is adorable! Love the pic, even without a smile, you can see that personality in her eyes! I think the blue spots you are talking about are called Mongolian Spots. I know there is a more technical name for them, but Joseph has them and we have to be sure to tell daycare providers/sitters about them so they don't mistake them for bruises. It's not uncommon for parents of kids who have them to be called out for abuse, when in fact they are essentially like a birthmark. They do disappear though I think by age 2 or later?

Felicia said...

They may not all go away, my 4 year old still has some on her back although they have faded quite a lot.